The term general dentistry includes regular exams and cleanings, x-rays to identify the cavities, oral cancer screenings, and treatments to tackle issues that are not covered in the exams. These treatments can include root canals, fillings, and gum disease treatment.
The primary benefits of general dentistry include preventing minor problems from advancing further and turning into something worse. However, if you visit your general dentist at least twice a year, most of the problems can be averted long before they even become serious. This becomes even more beneficial when you consider severe issues like oral cancer or gum disease.
Who is a General Dentist?
General dentists are the principal dental care providers for all patients. Their expertise includes everything from oral exams to root canals, fillings, crowns, and more. A general dentist can treat an entire family, whether it is regular cleanings or specialized care. They will also keep a watch on your oral health, which is essential when considering overall health.
General Dentistry Services
- Complete Examinations:A general dentist will conduct detailed examinations to detect any signs of decay or gum disease as identifying issues early allow for swift treatment before the condition intensifies and causes discomfort.
- Dental Sealants:The odds of your children developing cavities can be reduced by applying dental sealants. The deep hollows on the chewing surfaces of the teeth can trap food particles and plaque, leading to cavities. The application of dental sealant, a plastic-like coating, can prevent the formation of cavities.
- Fluoride Treatments:They are an essential part of preventative dentistry because the fluorides help fight natural erosion and keep teeth strong enough to fight off bacteria.
- Cavity Treatments: If you develop a small cavity, it is identified and treated promptly, as preventative dentistry is about preventing cavities, infection, and disease.
- Gum Disease Prevention: Gum disease is a common problem that affects most people at some point in their lifetime. Severe cases of gum disease are treated by conducting a deep cleaning and removing plaque and tartar from around and under your gums.
- Restorations: It is vital to visit a general dentist if your tooth becomes chipped or cracked. With the help of restoration, they will repair your teeth so they can return to good health and remain intact for years to come.
- Antibiotic Mouth Rinse:In this preventative procedure, a mouth rinse will help eliminate some of the harmful bacteria in your mouth
Call Winning Smiles family dentistry at (301)868-2004 or schedule an online appointment to know more about General Dentistry.