It's not unusual throughout a person's lifetime to develop one or more cavities in the teeth that might require professional attention. Some people may decide on tooth-colored fillings depending on the location and extent of the problem of the tooth that needs to be treated.
What Are Tooth-Colored Fillings?
The tooth-colored fillings composed of composite resins provide a perfect solution for people to get their cavities repaired without it being evident. The fillings are made from powdered glass and plastic, and the material offers aesthetic and real benefits. While some other alternatives, such as crowns, are slightly noticeable, the composite resin fillings are more likely to blend in perfectly with the other teeth. If a cavity is located at the front of the mouth, it can be rectified without affecting the person's natural smile.
What is involved in the process of Tooth-Colored Fillings?
After the initial diagnosis and examination of your teeth and you are found suitable for the tooth-colored fillings, the composite resin material will be prepared and applied to the area of the tooth needing repair.
A composite filling can usually be completed in one dental visit. During the procedure, the dentist will make sure of your comfort. A local anesthetic is made use to reduce any painful sensations you may feel while the tooth is being treated. A traditional dental drill is used to remove the decay from the tooth. Once the bacteria and decayed tooth structure are entirely removed, the tooth-colored composite resin is applied to the tooth. Special laser light will be used to harden the material. This can be a bit more laborious than the other types of treatments. If required, additional layers are applied to fix the damage. Then the tooth is shaped and polished until it feels as natural as the adjacent teeth.
What are some key benefits of Composite Tooth-Colored Fillings?
- Aesthetically Pleasing:The tooth-colored fillings blend in easily with your surrounding tooth structure, unlike the silver amalgam and gold fillings of the past.
- Fast Treatment:The tooth-colored filling procedure is pretty quick and painless. It takes less than an hour to treat one or two cavities, and in several cases, the filling can be placed and polished in about 15 minutes.
- Long-Lasting: The tooth-colored fillings could last for ten years or more if you properly care for your teeth, gums, and fillings.
- Tooth Structure Intact: In tooth-colored fillings, not much of the natural tooth structure must be removed as the composite resin bonds to the teeth. This allows for more conservative treatment of your cavity and also retains more of your natural tooth structure.
- Mercury-free:Most patients opt for tooth-colored fillings as they are mercury-free, which is a toxic material present in the traditional silver amalgam fillings.
Call Winning Smiles family dentistry at (301)868-2004 or schedule an online appointment to know more about Composite Tooth-Colored Fillings.